It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: I have a question...
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:27 am 

What if the hokey pokey really *is* what it's all about?

Post subject: Re: I have a question...
PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:40 pm 

then I guess you'll turn yourself around and find body parts everywhere rofl

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:40 am 

Fiat - I believe that means the universe will then implode.......I'm pretty sure.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:16 am 

Only if they devide by zero, dear. Until then, the universe shall remaind relatively intact. :D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:37 am 

Personally, I think the hokey pokey may be the answer. It can unify teenagers and tweens who are otherwise embarrassed to do anything. And you don't need words to pull it off, since people can just follow along. And it gets everyone looking silly, but relaxed. :D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:31 pm 

But can the hokey pokey withstand the terrors of the Chicken Dance? :ugeek:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:21 pm 

Okay I was curious so I googled it....

"What exactly IS the Hokey Pokey and where did it come from? According to Answers.com, the following is the history of the "Hokey Pokey."

The Hokey Pokey is a participation dance that became popular in the USA in the 1950s. Larry LaPrise, Charles Macak and Tafit Baker were granted the copyright for the song in 1950. According to popular legend they created this novelty dance in 1949 as entertainment for the ski crowd at Idaho 's Sun Valley resort. Ray Anthony's big band recording of the song turned it into a nationwide sensation by the mid-1950s (The "Hokey Pokey" appeared on the B side of Anthony's "Bunny Hop" single). Its rights were purchased in the mid- 1960s by country-western music star Roy Acuff 's publishing company, Acuff-Rose."

and then I found this..... on Wikipedia... SO you know me always the academic...

"Before the invention of ice cream cones, ice cream was often sold wrapped in waxed paper and known as a hokey-pokey (possibly a corruption of the Italian ecco un poco - "here is a little"). An Italian ice cream street vendor was called a hokey-pokey man.

Other scholars have found similar dances and lyrics dating back to the 17th century. A very similar dance is cited in Robert Chambers' Popular Rhymes of Scotland from 1826.

According to Beth Ann Hughes "hokey cokey" comes from "hocus pocus", the traditional magician's incantation which in its turn derives from a distortion of hoc est enim corpus meum - "this is my body" - the words of consecration accompanying the elevation of the host at Eucharist, the point, at which according to traditional Catholic practice, transubstantiation takes place - mocked by Puritans and others as a form of "magic words". The Anglican Canon Matthew Damon, Provost of Wakefield Cathedral, West Yorkshire, says that the dance as well comes from the Catholic Latin mass. The priest would perform his movements with his back to the congregation, who could not hear well the Latin words nor see clearly his movements.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:02 am 

See the hokey pokey is just a smokescreen created by the alien overlords to make us forget that the true threat is the horrible majesty of "The Song That Never Ends." It's all just a big conspiracy....Tell others!

*gets dragged from thread by the nice men in white lab coats*