It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: BOOKS, BOOKS, BOOKS!!!!!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:28 pm 

Whatcha reading?

I don't have time to read books when I'm home, so when I head to Florida I'm like this crazed person reading one book after another. I come back home nearly blind! I leave tomorrow for Florida so I have stashed in my carry-on...Kim Harrison's new Rachel Morgan book THE DEMON WAILS; The last Mercy THompson book IRON KISSED; The last Darkside novel UNNATURAL INQUIRER and the last Dresdan book SMALL FAVOR.

As you can tell, I'm not big on Oprah's monthly book club selections :?

Post subject: Re: BOOKS, BOOKS, BOOKS!!!!!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:46 am 

I go on reading binges myself. I won't read much for months and then, wham! I will read a whole buncha books in rapid succession. I just finished a marathon blaze through the Sherrilyn Kenyon Dark-Hunter novels. Thirteen of them so far. It's a good story line but is very smutty. Fortunately, if you're not in the mood for the smut, it tends to run for a page and a half and then get back to the main narrative.

I got Charlaine Harris books for Xmas, and some Anne McCaffrey that I have yet to read.

My ultimate recommendation on books, though, is Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. I never cease to be amazed at the number of people who have not yet found this series. The first three books are the best, and Speaker for the Dead (the third) is one of the most brilliant, thought provoking pieces of scifi I've ever read.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:27 pm 

You'd think that being forced to read 120+ children's and young adult books in 4 months would make me not want to read any more, but no. Within the past week or so, I've finished 2 Star Wars: Legacy of the Force books and Paper Towns by John Green (a wonderful YA author, if you're into those kinds of books). Right now I'm reading Blue Bloods by Melissa de la Cruz, which is about wealthy Manhattan socialites who also happen to be vampires.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:02 pm 

Currently re-reading Twilight.
Still making my way through Anne Rice's The Vampire Lestat. Been reading it since October. That should tell you something.
Just started the 3rd book in Harrison's Rachel Morgan series, Every Which Way But Dead.
And I'm reading Henry James' Portrait of a Lady for one of my classes. Slow to start, only read 3 chapters so far, but it got better in the 3rd. We'll see how the rest of it goes considering it's late 19th century writing which means Realism and big, lofty descriptions.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:27 am 

I finished Blue Bloods, Diary of a Wimpy Kid, and am now finishing a romance novel I started before Christmas. After that, I'll read The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:52 am 

Working my way through Mary Janice Davidson Alaskan Royal Family series. Light chicklit.

Super - have a popcorn fetish fascination with the Dark Hunter books (which also seem to incorporate the Were Hunters, Dream Hunters too). Looking forward to meeting Sherrilyn in the flesh at the con I'm attending mid February (in Melbourne).

Have read the Rachel Morgan, Dresden, Mercy & the Charlaine Harris Sookie books (not her Aurora Teagarden ones).

I'm also going through an anthology called Dreaming Again - dark fantasy/horror/spec fic short stories by Aust. authors edited by Jack Dann.

Just finished What Would Buffy Do - a Xmas gift (wouldn't have got it otherwise :lol:). Was much more interesting than I was expecting (which is always a nice surprise).

Also have Tender Morsels by Margo Lanogan - think it's a YA (but am guessing when I actually read it - more adult).

VL you're a better person than I. The ONLY vampire chronicle I've waded through was Marius' story. (er, is that Blood Gold or something like that???).

Plus I've a number of 'standard' romance style books - all in preparation for the writers I'm meeting at aforementioned (I love that word :lol:) con in Feb.

*ponders* Can't think of anything else....for now.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:46 am 

Glori - I don't know Marius so I couldn't tell you that. I'm going through them in order very very very very slowly.

Henry James is going faster than I would typically take it 'cause of school. If it weren't for school, it'd probably be going about as fast as Anne Rice, which isn't. Depending on the book I can probably average about 400 pages in 6 hours. It took me 6 hours to read 150 pages of Portrait of a Lady. Does that seem wrong to anybody else?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:14 pm 

I read SMALL FAVOR the last Dresdan book as well as the last Darkside by Simon Green. Damn.....I was fooled into thinking Kim Harrison's new book was out....it was THE DEMON WAILS just released in paperback. I read the hard cover last year . I was sooooo disappointed! I picked up a book by Vickie Peterson called THE SCENT OF SHADOWS and I didn't finish it in Florida which is not a good sign because I rarely get back to a book once I hit Michigan again. Maybe I'll force myself to finish it this week. It's okay....but a little too involved and I don't particularly are for the world Peterson creates. Maybe my opinion will change once I finish the book.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:42 pm 

Currently Reading: Roma Eterna by Robert Silverberg. Alternate Rome, a collection of novellas that were posted in Various SF mags. Very good so far, much more of a character piece and sociological book than about the nuts and bolts of divergence.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:21 am 

My daughter read the WATCHMEN graphic novel and absolutely lovely it. I think I may sit down and read it before the movie comes out.

Kim Harrison's new Rachel Morgan book will be out on the 24th and I noticed that Simon Green already has a new Darkside out :D I will have something to read when I head back to Florida mid March. So happy. I may get Lincoln Child's latest book as well. I love Lincoln Child.